Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A walk in the woods.

Below are some photos I took while out looking for mushrooms after recent rains.


Dacrymyces palmatus



















I first came across a small yellow fungus growing on a log, I have since identified the mushroom as Dacrymyces palmatus, common name witches butter. I also came across a large grouping on the side of a conifer in a small pine forest.

Quite a few specimens.






















I have Identified this next mushroom as Entoloma conferendum or some other Entoloma mushroom, The common name Pink gilled mushroom. The spore print was a reddish pink. Without a microscope I can not be certain of its precise identification. But it is definitely an Entomala.



Entoloma conferendum?





















#2




They're everywhere.



















 I did not just find mushrooms, I looked up from photographing the pink gilled mushrooms to see a bright orange spot on the hillside. I climbed towards it to find an Eastern newt in the eft stage, also known as a Red eft.



Red eft.





















As I continued up the hillside I came across a second younger eft.

Small Red eft.

Camera shy.































I also found numerous shelf type mushrooms, along with a few species of fern. All in all it was a rather productive walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment